Recover Faster With Pre-Surgical Rehabilitation
It is natural to feel a bit worried about an upcoming surgical procedure for your child. You may wonder how the surgery will go or how long the recovery period will be. A recovery plan will most likely require physical therapy treatments following surgery, in order to relieve their pain and regain their function. However, many people are not aware that you can complete pre-surgical rehabilitation (or “pre-hab”) treatments to help your child’s body prepare for the upcoming surgery. For more information on pre-hab and how it can benefit you, contact Oceanside Therapy Group today!
The surgeon should recommend pre-surgical rehabilitation in order to improve the outcome of your child’s surgery. Studies have shown that beginning physical therapy a month or so before undergoing a surgical procedure can greatly decrease your child’s recovery time. Preparing for a surgery can be anxiety-ridden – but a pre-hab program may be able to put your mind at ease. Pre-hab treatment plans provide you with everything you need to be as physically and mentally prepared as possible for your child’s procedure.
How will pre-hab help your child?
The National Institutes of Health states that participating in exercise therapies prior to surgery can exceptionally improve your child’s post-operative outcomes and reduce your child’s recovery time. Surgery is generally only performed when there are no other options available, due to the toll that it takes on a body. A pre-surgical rehabilitation program focuses on improving strength before surgery so the body can heal faster and easier. Essentially, it prepares the body for the procedure. Our Oceanside, CA physical therapist can help your child improve their range of motion and patterns of movement with targeted exercises that they can do both before and after surgery. Pre-hab can also help them prepare mentally, by encouraging an overall sense of well-being beforehand. In general, pre-hab treatments assist in improving your child’s physical health and promoting general wellness before their procedure.
6 benefits of pre-hab:
There are six essential keys to pre-surgical rehabilitation and how it can help improve your child’s recovery:
- Reduced pain. Pre-hab can greatly reduce pain following surgery. This can be done through a variety of methods, including ice and heat therapies, exercise, or massage.
- Shortened recovery. Pre-hab allows for a much smoother surgical process. Having strong and toned muscles before surgery helps them get back to their regular routine much easier and quicker than it would without.
- Improved outcomes. The American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) states that pre-hab can improve the overall outcomes of surgery and it can even help in saving money if everything goes smoothly. If muscles are strengthened prior to surgery, it is more likely that the surgery will be successful and the recovery time will be shorter.
- Reduced complications. Pre-hab incorporates targeted exercises to help increase strength and endurance. As a result, this can improve your child’s immunity, meaning that the chance of infection after surgery is much lower.
- Increased stamina. It is no secret that any surgical procedure will result in a loss of strength as their body is recovering. However, pre-hab can help in reducing how much strength is lost by increasing their stamina before the operation. In turn, this will make the recovery process much smoother since there will be less strength lost.
- The possibility of avoiding surgery. Sometimes, pre-hab treatments can even eliminate the need for surgery altogether. While this is not always the case, some patients have actually found that their pre-hab treatments were sufficient enough in reducing their pain that they canceled their procedure. If their pre-hab treatments are successful in decreasing pain and improving function, you may save them from an invasive surgery. If their condition begins to improve considerably after starting their treatments, you’ll want to consult with our physician regarding future treatment options and the possibility of avoiding the unnecessary procedure.
Speed up your child’s recovery with Oceanside Therapy Group:
Pre-surgical rehabilitation has a vast range of benefits for pre-surgical patients. One of our Oceanside, CA pediatric physical therapists would be happy to consult with you to figure out what treatment plan would be best for your child’s specific needs going into surgery. When you are as strong, flexible, and healthy as possible, you are able to regain normal function much quicker after the procedure is complete. Pre-hab can also help your child become accustomed to a training routine that they can take into their post-surgical recovery for a better outcome.
If your child has a surgery coming up, contact Oceanside Therapy Group today to speak with one of our qualified speech, occupational, or physical therapists. For the best results, it’s important to get started as soon as possible. Schedule an evaluation at our Oceanside, CA physical therapy clinic today to prepare for an easier procedure and recovery period. We’ll help your child get back to their daily life as quickly as possible!